Retro Sound Effects

September 18, 2009 by: Tom

In my spare moments over the last week or two, I’ve been porting the excellent sfxr by Tomas Pettersson into AS3, and it’s finally done!

If you haven’t used sfxr before, it’s a really neat app that lets you generate your own custom game sound effects, using the same kind of synthesizers that the classic consoles used. When you’re done tweaking the sound, you can save it out as a .wav ready to import into Flash

I’ve added a few features into my version, like history buttons and copy/paste functionality, but everything from the original is there too, even the .wav export feature!

Play around with the app here

Even better, I’ve made it open source too, so you can use the synthesizer in your own code. That means for roughly 10kB, you can have as many sound effects in your game/movie as you like, without adding more filesize for each one. Check out the google code description page for a very simple demo of how to use SfxrSynth in your work, and to download the source code.

Google Code project here

AS3, FP10 only though I’m afraid!

Filed under: Code

Comments

20 Responses to “Retro Sound Effects”
  1. PurpleSquerkle says:

SFXR is basically the best thing ever.

2. sAo says:

jak tato kokotina pojde do turnaja mna jebne

3. Ilya says:

dude, thank you. I’m going to mess around with it.

4. jikoo says:

Waooow ! Excellent version. I know all projects of SFXR port. Your Flash port is excellent ! I tested it. It works very well. So, I put a link on my website to your app :

BIG thanks Mister Tom ! 😉

5. tong says:

Awesome! Very thanks for this!

6. Excellent port. SFXR puts so many pretenders to shame!

Thinking about implementing your port in my work in progress sound manager; Just point users to your ported application, and let them copy/paste effects into their code, generate the sounds at compile time and play them back with no synthesis overhead. Should be an awesome feature 🙂 Thanks again!

7. Awesome app, kinda makes me want to add some classic elements to a future project. plus it’s always fun to tweak sounds.

8. 8bitjeff says:

Absolutely brilliant! We bow down to your skillz!

9. NemoStein says:

Hail… Thank you for this awsome tool.

Although it is really easy to implement on AS3 Projects, I think that you could release a minidoc about it.
    The Wiki page on Google codes are blank, and I was wondering how far this can go out of the box…
    And, how much can I cut of things whitout destroy it.

10. hey fucky says:

make this a VST plugin immediately.

11. jikoo says:

@hey fucky, SFXR VST plugin exists but it is not really good ! Check it here :

Cheers !
    Jerry

12. retro clocks says:

Hey! I admire your writing and the way you explain things. Some of the comments on here too are insightful. I appreciate you. keep it up! John from http://resveratroleffects.org .

13. Bruce says:

@hey fucky, SFXR VST plugin exists but it is not really good ! Check it here :

Cheers !
    Jerry

14. gamer says:

SFXR – this is the best thing that exists in the world

15. Tom, sfxr is absolutely fantastic! I am going to spend WAY too much time using it! thank you for the heads up on it!

16. Craig says:

Fantastic stuff – thanks for opening this up. I’m in the middle of a creating a new retro game and I this is just the ticket.

17. Adrian Parr says:

Thanks for porting this Tom. Very useful.

18. Oscar says:

Going online is the *only* way in which sfxr could be improved, thank you for the port! Also, the “back” button is a life-saver 🙂

A question: Exporting a .sfs sound from as3sfxr and playing it back in offline sfxr-1.1I’ve noticed that noise-based sounds sound different… as3sfxr sounds crispier, while sfxr sounds a bit more like an old radio. Comparing the waveforms in Audacity, sfxr-1.1 wave seems to have a higher frecuency and a lower amplitude. Is there any change in the way as3sfxr generates the base noise?

19. sq2 says:

great presentation at fotb, and great code. thanks