Detective Grimoire

February 22, 2009 by: Tom

Alternative content

Get Adobe Flash player

The result of over 5 months of hard work, we put a lot of love into this game and couldn’t be happier with how it’s turned out. Dim’s backgrounds are entirely created in flash, using the filters new to Flash 8 onwards to full effect. Over 500 lines of character dialogue written and directed by Dim give life to Detective Grimoire and the host of suspects in a fiendish murder case set in a run-down fairground. We were heavily influenced by both classic point-and-clicks such as Fate of Atlantis, and modern favourites like Phoenix Wright.

Play this game on Newgrounds.com

Play this game on ArmorGames.com

Filed under: Games

Comments

65 Responses to “Detective Grimoire”
  1. Steven Shaw says:

This is a very well put together game, which creates excellent atmosphere, especially if it’s played at night :)( I particularly like the end part when you’re putting the actual sequence of events together). Although, it does get a bit obvious around the middle of the game who the actual killer is, don’t worry, I’m not gonna spoil it…… :). I also like the atmosphere that the creepy little girl creates, the music, combined with her personality create a very spooky atmosphere and makes all sorts of questions come to mind, where did she come from, what’s she doing here, how does she know what she knows? But yeah, I’m really looking forward to Detective Grimoire 2. The only real recommendation I could make towards improving this game is finding a way to make it less obvious before the player finishes the game, such as a better alibi for the killer that has a couple of unexplained parts that are harder to notice. Also perhaps, at the end of the game when the player are putting the sequence of events in place, perhaps add more selections to the multiple choice section, I’d also advise that you make some of the false selections very similar to the actual selection, making it harder for the player to just guess, helping to ensure that the player actually has put the story together. Personally, I think the plot was actually very well thought out, but I would make the Eye Interrogation a tad more challenging, but it was still quite original, I’d never seen anything like it. The graphics were very well done, congrats to the illustrator, you have a real talent. The movement style, just clicking the arrows on the sides of the screen were nice and simple making it easy to move around.(Btw thank you for putting that map which allows for quick movement around the fairground in the game, I would definitely put that or something similar in number 2. Overall, I would give this game a 9/10, pints being taken off for the obviousness of who the killer is, I’d recommend doing your best to make it less obvious until the player is down til their last few pieces of evidence, or even better, make the pieces of evidence create motives or possible killing opportunities for multiple characters, much like that red nose, which both showed the likeliness of the Charles being present at the time of the crime and also Pete using it to frame Charles. Sorry for making my comment so long, I guess you could call it more of a personal review than a comment. Anyway it was still a very well thought out game and keep up the very good work. Btw, if for whatever reason you like my suggestions or anything else I’ve wrote in my ‘comment’, you’re welcome to use my e-mail to contact me.

-Steven

2. Patrick says:

I completed it on my first try… it was awesome!
    I thought it was goning to be a hard, annoying, myster game that I can’t get past the firts level of it.
    The dialouge was insanly life-like, worthy of a movie!
    This is by for the best detective game I have ever played!
    Keep up the good work Super Flash Bros.!
    I’m sure Steven Shaw summed up everything… so this is all I need to say.
    Nice job!

3. Hari says:

Where is the making of you said was on this site? :d I can’t find it, and the searches give me nothing.

4. nick says:

make the second one plzzz it says coming soon on the home page but its been over a year.
    the first one was awsome.

ps. can u make it for the ds?

5. nick says:

or put it on a pc disc. just saying keep up the good work

6. mark says:

i was right in my first try !!!!!!!

7. Hoh says:

nice games!i like it!although it is not easy job, but eventually i also succeed!

8. Savaric says:

I enjoyed this one, very well put together, simple but effective graphics, music works well.

Interrogation feature was inventive, although mostly window dressing. But nice for what it was.

So, just a tiny few things to complain about:

* Some gameplay mechanics were not explained as well as others (and most things were very well explained) mainly the drag-and-drop sequences, and the fact that you can ask the characters about the clues.

* There seems to be a bug in the crawl-through-the-hole bit where if you use the map to go somewhere else, the game hangs. Don’t know if this applies to other drag-drop sequences as well.

* Character “voices” were sort of annoying. Option to turn them off maybe?

* I didn’t like the “skip / next” bit during display of text. I tend to want all text at once, so I clicked skip all the time, but then you might acidentally click “Next”…

All in all, nice job. I would like to see more games like this one, I love well put together whodunits!

/Savaric

9. Steven Shaw says:

So, um, is Detective Grimoire coming out or not? Not to sound impatient or anything, but I’m pretty sure it’s been a couple of years since I first heard about Detective Grimoire 2 coming out…still nothing…

10. Robyn says:

Dective Grimiore (Spelling?) Is a Great
    Game But … Im Confused …Is there or is
    There not a Second one coming out …
    Right now im not sure whether I Should
    Be excited or not … :3

11. abraham says:

Excelent game, please make other one.

12. Karen Farmer says:

This game was awesome!! I love it and I jumped up and down when I found out who the murderer was. Can’t wait for more related games!

13. Karen Farmer says:

14. sandy says:

its so nice by the way is there going to be a 2nd part

15. Angela says:

This game is a WOW. I’ve always been looking for a good and reasonable detective game but couldn’t find a single one that actually make me wanna jump around and rate it as a 5-star. Somehow I came across yours and I love it! The characters are like real and portrays real life. And it made me spin my brain and think. I got through till the end smoothly.
    Will there be a second part? Or do you have any other detective games like this sort which you would want me to try? I’d love to!